Thursday, October 17, 2013

Writing Spaces


Writing spaces.  LOADS of people want to be the quintessential writer, sitting in coffee-shops amidst crowds and conversation, or sitting at home and sipping a cup of hot cocoa while the world makes its noises elsewhere. 

My dream?  I'd like to have an office.  A place with a large desk, shelves everywhere for books and knickknacks, and a decent computer (doesn't matter if it's a laptop or desktop).  Preferably on the top floor--if there's more than one--and with a door so that it doesn't feel as if just anyone can barge into my writing space.

One problem?  I don't know if that's the perfect writing space for me.  I like people and I like noise, so I would either have to have music playing in the background with a dog or cat sitting at my feet, or go somewhere with people, like the coffee-shop. 

Other people can't concentrate if there's even the slightest noise.  I've read an article where the author actually stated that when his son starts blasting music in the house he has to go and hide in the shed, because he writes to a certain internal rhythm, and any tunes just mess with that.  If you know who I'm talking about and have read the article, very much kudos to you. 

What I'm trying to say is that not everyone is the same.  Some people may write the best in a library with trees outside the window that are dancing in the wind.  Others may write best at home while they're sitting on the toilet.  Some write better really early in the morning, and others at night.   Don't try too hard to find a writing spot.  Often times the best places to write are the ones you pick unintentionally.  I'm not saying 'stay put'.  Go to different places--be sure to make sure they are SAFE places--and see how well you write.  Write in the morning before school, in the after noon, at night right before you go to bed.

For now, I'm going to hop on a bus and head home.  And maybe I'll go ahead and write in the mean time.

(picture above taken from the HGTV website)

No comments:

Post a Comment