Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 26

6,157 words to go.  

Eeeh!

I'm thinking about just powering through and finishing tonight, but I'm not quite convinced I'll be able to, or even if I should.  Still.  

I WILL get that Winner shirt.  >___>  *determined*

Here is an awesome excerpt from my novel to tide you over for the next few days.  :D  EPIC FIGHTING.  SORT OF.  READ IT ANYWAY.




“Let’s give them a few seconds to get to the viewing platform, then we’ll start.”

I nodded.

It felt like it took eons to wait for them to get there.  After what felt like hours but was probably more like 30 seconds, Dragon lifted his hand up to his ear and asked, “You ready yet?”

I could hear a small murmur come from his ear bud—they really needed to get better ones.  At least Amazon’s had fallen out and onto rain covered gravel before it started blasting out Boss’s calls for the world to hear.

“Alright,” he said, and automatically launched at me.

Remembering the way he tackled me that first night at the warehouses, I stepped back and let him whiz by.  He was good.  He was able to stop himself right before he would’ve crashed into the wall, and turned around.  He had a wide smile on his face.  He had to be testing me.

Apparently I passed the test.

But he propelled himself at me again, and as I stepped to the side I felt his fist connect with my side.  He knew that I was going to try and pull the same trick again, so he’d prepared.  As the air rushed out of me I let myself fall to the ground and roll away.  His fist passed harmlessly over me as I did so, and when I came back up I had both of my blades out and glowing with my plasma acid.  

As he started to move in my direction, I flung the acid covered blade intentionally at his head.  I made sure that it wouldn’t hit him even if he didn’t duck at all, and he did.  His eyebrows were bunched together and I could tell he was focusing on something. 

So was I.  As his fist came at my stomach again and I used my foot to push him away, I realized something.  I’d only ever used my powers to cover my blades whenever I fought near him.  He’d never seen me just fling the acid.  It was always with the dagger flying through the air with it.

He probably thought I could only cover objects with my power and throw them.

This could prove to be very useful.

Dragon and I began to circle each other.  Now I’m not psychic but even I could practically see the gears turning in his head as he processed what we already tried to do to each other.

Then he came at me, low, and grabbed me by the waist.  He tossed me up in the air, and I don’t know how he did it, but he managed to grab my wrist as he flipped me over and twisted my dagger out of my hand.  I had to fight not to grin as I hit the ground and ducked into a roll.  Let him think he bested me for a moment.

Once again we stood, barely nine feet away from each other, and stared one another down.  I made sure not to let a single amount of my glee reach the surface.  My mouth was firmly shut, and could almost be considered a frown.  I squinted my eyes in concentration as if I were trying to come up with a plan that didn’t amount to using my powers. 

We started circling each other again.  After a minute of doing this, I could hear some more chatter from his ear buds.  Were they complaining about how boring this exercise was getting?  Either way, I took this opportunity to fling my acid at him.

He obviously wasn’t prepared.  I had a split second to see utter shock on his face before he brought his arms up to cover it.  What I didn’t quite expect to see was that his uniform didn’t melt at all.  So, apparently they might be under budget, but they probably expected to come and fight me again.  Here or at the warehouse?

After that, he lowered his arms to his side and I could tell that the fight was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment